apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: SGI's Accelerating Apache project
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:10:21 GMT

> > From: "Greg Stein" <gstein@lyra.org>
> > > It would actually be quite interesting to see APR ported to build against
> > > STM and see what happens when the threaded MPM is thrown against APR/STM.
> >
> > Could this be taken even further and merge APR and NSPR into a single
> > run-time library? There is already a lot of overlap between APR/NSPR and
> > these two projects have similar goals.  Developers working on the NSPR have
> > expressed interest in merging with APR several times in the past.

I have never heard that interest, but if it is true, then yes I believe
there is an opportunity there.  The biggest problem we will have, is that
I don't believe the APR code will ever move from a BSD-ish license.  The
Apache group in general, and a lot of the APR programmers in specific,
like the BSD-ish licenses, and would be very unlikely to change.

Technically, there are few if any reasons not to merge the two
libraries.  If anybody from NSPR is listening, let's talk about this.  I
think we are all willing and able to do what is required to make this
happen.  I would like to see the API for APR stay as stable as possible,
because we have interest from other projects who want to ensure the API is
stable.  However, a stable API just means that version 1 is set, we could
easily work on version 2 with a different API if necessary.

Ryan

> > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/index.html
> > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/reference/html/index.html
> >
> > FYI: SGI's State Threads Library is based on NSPR.
> >
> > If there are licensing concerns with Mozilla's code in my experience the
> > Mozilla lawyers will do whatever it takes to resolve the differences so that
> > the code can be used.

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131