apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Poliicy proposal.
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:03:10 GMT
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Ben Hyde wrote:

>  > Those tags should be in a format like
>  > APACHE_2_0 or SUBVERSION_X_Y.
>
> I find this weird.  Library providers are not supposed to know such
> things about thier clients.  It's the job the clients to record what
> version of the library they are dependent upon.  Surely this tag is just
> an attempt to defer the day when the apr clients have to do this?  Think
> MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER...

The problem I am trying to solve, is that there are currently two projects
that are driving development of APR, which means that both are using HEAD
of the APR tree.  Neither project can really use another tag, because they
are driving the development, and thus need to be on the cutting
edge.  When one of those projects wants to make a release, they need to be
able to reproduce that release easily.  I believe 99% of the apr clients
will use a simple tag from the APR tree, but those that must be on the
cutting edge will always find that hard to do.  I am trying to make this
as easy as possible.

That's my goal anyway.  I expect that when APR actually makes a beta or
release version, then a good portion of this problem will go away.  This
would also be easier if Apache and Subversion didn't ask the developers to
check out APR, but instead kept a copy of the tree in their repositories.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131