apr-dev mailing list archives

From cliffwool...@yahoo.com
Subject Re: The list...
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:08:48 GMT
On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Wan-Teh Chang wrote:

> If an APR client needs the same test, you might want
> to look into why APR fails to make the test unnecessary
> for its clients.  For example, the apr_dso_* functions
> should make the tests for HAVE_DL_H and HAVE_DLFCN_H
> unnecessary for APR clients.

That's true to an extent... apr_want.h addresses many such issues.  But at
the same time, some clients are just going to want to do things in ways we
haven't 100% predicted.  If we've already done the test in APR, we might
as well export the results to save the client a little effort.  In other
words, we give them as many tools as possible (eg apr_want.h) for them not
to need the macros at all, but if they do want them and we already know
their value, we might as well provide them.

> For those HAVE_* macros that really need to be exported,
> you might want to rename them APR_HAVE_* to stay inside
> the APR_ namespace.

Oh, clearly... I assumed that that went without saying.  That's definitely
the plan.  And moreover, if APR_HAVE_* exists, it is always defined (to 0
or 1), as opposed to plain-old autoconf HAVE_* macros which are either
defined or not.

--Cliff