apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Mixing Apache and Mozilla
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:47:20 GMT
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > > The other goal is the introduction of XPCOM into Apache.
> >
> > This doesn't require NSPR, does it?
>
> XPCOM is dependent on NSPR.

As a technology/API, I'd hope it isn't.

> What are the advantages to maintaining two libraries doing the same thing
> with slightly different APIs?

That doesn't sound to me like the NSPR/APR situation here.

Look, clearly you're motivated to see this happen.  No one thinks that
such a thing is a bad idea, but *someone* has to step up to do more
serious work on this - *either* implementing the NSPR API on top of APR,
or the other way around, since clearly neither camp is going to give up
their API's.  Another solution might be to port a significant NSPR-based
app, such as Mozilla, to use APR's current API, or the other way around.
Or, contributing whatever missing bits NSPR has that APR doesn't to APR,
as a proof of concept.

Instead, you're advocating that people join bandwagons and such, but not
providing much technical assistance in doing so.  Those who are motivated
to work on APR are much more interested in getting it to work for httpd
2.0 and subversion than in scratching your itch, even if they agree,
"yeah, it's an itch".

	Brian