apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/build config.guess config.sub
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 05:03:15 GMT
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > On 18 Feb 2001 fielding@apache.org wrote:
> > >   Import of platform guessing scripts from GNU libtool 1.3.5.
> > >   These are in CVS because Apache runs on platforms that are not
> > >   known by the GNU tools (yet).
> >
> > >   # This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
> > >   # under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> > >   # the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> > >   # (at your option) any later version.
> >
> > Um... how does this not infect the APR tree with the GPL?  My
> > understanding is that we can redistribute the *output* of GNU development
> > tools like this, but not the actual tools themselves.
>
> If we can't distribute this file, then we can't use autoconf/libtool.
> Like the file says, we need these files, because we are more portable than
> the GNU tools we rely on.

So the problem is that we have enhanced the GNU tools we use to account
for platforms that the GNU tools don't.  That's totally cool - however, we
should both:

a) offer those patches back to the GNU tool maintainers so it can be
incorporated back upstream, and

b) distribute our modified versions of those tools as separate packages
under the GPL.

If we don't do that, I don't see how the whole of APR doesn't become GPL.

My understanding that *use* of autoconf & libtool was something that
matter to the developers, but the resulting code we write using those
tools (even if they include derivative works) is explicitly not GPL.  So,
we should be able to continue to use GNU tools, but this understanding
should be validated.

	Brian