apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: m4 and APR_FLAGS_HEADER
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:27:02 GMT
On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:16:36AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
> > >
> > > That is not a restriction we want to add if at all possible.
> >
> > Note that this is for developers only. Users never use/need M4.
> >
> > This simply means a developer needs:
> >
> >     autoconf, libtool, GNU m4
> >
> > Not a biggy in my book.
> >
> > It would be nice to find the discrepancy with *BSD m4 and submit bugs back
> > to their M4 team.
>
> IMO, this is the exact same as requiring gmake to build, which we said was
> a no-no.  Same reasoning applies here.

Sorry... not quite the same.

Users would need gmake to build. Users would not need M4 even installed, let
alone any particular variety.

Developers need GNU m4.

m4 is only used to build "configure" and to generate apr_private.h.in. That
stuff happens "on our side" of the tarball. The users get a tarball with all
that in there, so they'll never need autoconf, libtool, or m4.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/