apr-dev mailing list archives

From "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <f...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Mixing Apache and Mozilla
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:13:07 GMT

On Friday, February 23, 2001, at 12:05 PM, Jon Smirl wrote:
> <snip>

> What are the advantages to maintaining two libraries doing the same thing
> with slightly different APIs? Portable run-times are a lot of work, NSPR
> is
> 68KB times the number of platforms it works on. Supporting a portable
> run-times is a permanent time sink, every time a new OS version is released
> the PR has to be tweaked. I'm sure a new round of tweaking will be needed
> for Windows XP.

> Are there technical objections to NSPR from the Apache side?

> If Apache will come on to the NSPR bandwagon my next target will be
> Xerces/Xalan. They're building yet another portable run-time.

I think that the main reasons for the resistance you are seeing are:

- apr is well along the development path
- switching Apache 2.0 from apr to NSPR would set Apache back at least 6
months, and it's already behind schedule. (As Greg pointed out).

I think that those 2 reasons far outweigh any technical objections that
people might have.

-Fitz