apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Mixing Apache and Mozilla
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:52:24 GMT
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 01:35:25AM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > And to the heart of the matter: APR and NSPR. Personally, I believe the path
> > is pretty simple:
> >
> > 1) assuming the NSPR developers don't want to continue maintenance...
> > 2) assume that the APR developers *do*  (true right now)
> The Mozilla people want to keep maintaining NSPR. There are several paid
> developers working on it and it is the core run-time for Mozilla and other
> products. It has been heavily tested and it is a mature product. A lot of
> thought and effort has been put into the design of  NSPR over several years.
> NSPR also contains many features that are not available in APR. Wan-Teh can
> comment more on this since he owns NSPR.

All righty... fair enough. If both teams are able and willing to continue to
do maintenance, and both have hard requirements to maintain their APIs and
compatibility (at least for the medium term), then there isn't much to be

Sure, somebody can take some time to build one API in terms of the other.
I've got no idea who/when that might happen. I think the long term situation
is certainly to build one API in terms of the other.

> I was hoping to avoid the creation of a new portable run-time, the APR being
> split out of Apache in the 2.0 project.

hehe... you're a bit too late. We started coding APR about two years ago.
It's already quite complete and stable. Besides being used in Apache, it is
also being actively used by Subversion and a few Covalent tools/apps.

> This could be done by adding
> Apache's special requirements to the existing NSPR. It would also free
> Apache developers to work on other parts of Apache. There are a lot more
> programmers working on Mozilla (most at Netscape) than Apache.

Unfortunately, a bit late for that. We're too far down the path to switch
Apache from APR to NSPR. We're trying to get a beta out, and revamping the
core library that the server is built upon won't help :-) That would easily
set us back another six months, and /none/ of us can swallow that. Many
people were hoping to ship 2.0 last year.

> The other goal is the introducton of XPCOM into Apache.

This should be possible to do, quite independently of the APR/NSPR issue.

> A simple example of a big piece of work that has already been done. Check
> out NSPR's documentation:
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/reference/html/index.html
> Any APR experts care to comment on how the two stack up against each other?

NSPR has quite a bit more breadth than APR. Without spending a ton of time,
it would be hard to provide a critical evaluation of the two (i.e. doing a
compare and contrast between the two libraries).

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

View raw message