apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/build config.guess config.sub
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:14:22 GMT
On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 09:05:13PM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> > I quote from config.guess (config.sub has the same block):
> >
> >     As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
> >     distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
> >     configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
> >     the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.
> >
> > Looks okay to me...
>
> Aaah!  OK, I missed that.  Excellent.  Sorry for doubting you, Roy.  =)

No worries -- I prefer to have someone double-checking such things.
Even without the special exception that you missed in the very next
paragraph [;-)], it would be safe to distribute because shell scripts
are not "combined" in the same way as compiled code, and thus the
viral conditions of the GPL on derived work would not apply.

....Roy