apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: build blues
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:51:01 GMT
I've finally got most of my sandbox configure changes checked-in,
but still haven't made the most significant changes:

  * APR's configure should be called first to define everything and
    generate an apr_make_vars.mk + apr_make_rules.mk in apr/include,
    since this will be needed by any program that wants to build
    from an installed APR library.  We might want to install the
    entire apr/build directory. *shrug*

  * APR_ADDTO probably shouldn't be exporting variables -- this is
    resulting in many repeated parameters on compiles/links.

  * APR_PRELOAD should only be called by APR -- other configures
    should inline the apr_make_vars.mk (what is now APRVARS) and
    override whatever is in their environment.  It isn't safe to
    build APR clients with a set of compile and link flags
    different from those used to build APR.

  * Everywhere that we screw with CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc.,
    needs to be fixed so that we only temporarily modify them for
    tests and save ONLY the modifications in EXTRA_*.

  * The GNU Makefile standards need to be adhered to in all use
    of standard variables and target names -- right now we aren't
    even close (CFLAGS is often set with preprocessor defines and
    distclean is cleaning too much and extraclean is only defined
    within APR).  Likewise, the standard names like CFLAGS should
    be reserved for environment user-defined flags that can
    override any of the ones we create with configure (i.e., they
    must appear *after* the other variables on the command lines).

  * buildconf needs to be modularized in each distribution

  * httpd buildconf needs to be rewritten to eliminate the build.mk
    spaghetti -- I've already done this in my sandbox, but it requires
    more of the above before I can commit it.

  * modify all of the Makefile.in files to use the new $(variables)

  * libtoolize --automake --copy

  * ./buildconf --disable-libtool    [making it an option]

  * fix dependencies so that they are created by configure

I have to do a brain swap now and prepare for the Wednesday board meeting,
so if anyone wants to do stuff to configure now is a good time.  I won't
lose any work at this point.

....Roy