apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: build blues
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:58:04 GMT
Wow! This all sounds great.

Is it possible to get a partial checkin? That'll let us review pieces as
they go (easier to do a small bit, than a huge one), and you won't have to
worry about tracking other changes to the build system.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:30:47PM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Just a heads-up.  I am still working on simplifying the build scripts.
> More changes are required for httpd than anything else, though I'd also
> like to streamline, name-protect, and make consistent the apr stuff.

Can we do this in a couple steps?

>    * make each "top-most" buildconf.sh set up the subdirectory configures
>      directly with autoheader and autoconf, rather than running each of
>      their buildconf.sh scripts.  This will remove most of the redundant
>      libtool and configure checks, force the whole tree to be built with a
>      consistent set of flags, and allow each independent tree's buildconf.sh
>      to be specialized for standalone builds of that tree.

Not sure about this one. Are you talking about APR building a libtool, and
having the other pieces just use APR's copy?

>    * modify all of the Makefile.in files to use the new @VARS@

I'm presuming that your @VARS@ is intended to replace config_vars.mk. Why
put it into each Makefile.in? Couldn't the @VARS@ just go into rules.mk.in?

[ note that Sascha used config_vars.mk to avoid the additional dozens of
  substitutions at the end of the configure process. Running all of those
  substitutions over all the files takes a good chunk of time. compressing
  them down to a single @VARS@ substitution ought to do the trick, too. ]

Cheers,
-g

--