apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/include apr.hw
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2001 05:46:00 GMT
> This is what was scaring me BTW.  I have rolled three times this week, and
> each time there has been some OS that didn't work.  The first time it was
> OS/2, then BeOS, now Windows.  It seems to me that because we aren't
> freezing the tree and asking people to work on stabilizing the code, we
> are likely to continue to hit this problem.  The big problem is that we
> have four very different platforms, and it is too easy to accidentally
> break one when fixing another.  That is a problem, but it is a problem
> that we aren't fixing right now, so not asking for some sort of code
> freeze is going to continue to cause these problems IMHO.

Ryan, the problem is that you are making significant changes that
effect builds (moving prototypes and creating new header files) and then
tagging the tree before verifying that it builds on the major platforms.
Of course that isn't going to work.  Freezing the tree won't help.
There is no reason to tag the tree just after you have made a change
that is likely to affect other platforms.  Wait until after it has been
built by others, or get Sam to make his tinderbox software available for
automated build checks.

What not freezing does affect is the probability that someone *other*
than the RM may make a significant change just prior to the tag.
Personally, I never encountered that problem as RM.

BTW, when I said that we needed to build more often, I meant once a week
at most.  Otherwise, people won't feel it is important to test the
last build.

....Roy