apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: libmm
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 22:55:05 GMT
On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:54:22AM -0800, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
>    OK, make on Darwin finishes without errors.  I get these libraries:
>
> [joliet-jake:~/Developer/Apache/apr] wsanchez% find . -name \*.dylib -o
> -name \*.a
> ./.libs/libapr.a
> ./.libs/libapr.dylib
> ./shmem/unix/mm/.libs/libmm.a
>
>    Do I want to work on getting libmm to build dynamically, or is it
> expected to be static?
>
>    (Do clients say "-lapr" or "-lapr -lmm"?  I'm hoping it's the former,
> in which case I'd expect libapr to link against libmm, which I'm not
> seeing...)

Hmm. Normally, Apache tells APR and APRUTIL to build statically, by passing
--disable-shared (to libtool). Not sure why you have a .dylib for APR unless
you separately configured it without that switch.

APR should be passing the same flag(s) to the MM configuration, which would
result in it seeing --disable-shared also.

I'm guessing that you're seeing some kind of skew in there.

Regarding linking, clients are expected to use apr/libapr.la plus anything
they find in LIBTOOL_LIBS in APRVARS (and yes: there is a status item to
namespace protect the stuff in APRVARS).

If client apps are not libtool-aware, then it is best for them to use an
installed copy of APR. The .a and/or .so will be directly available at the
install point.

[ although we don't have "install" working for APR(UTIL) at this point ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/