apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr configure.in
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 01:46:31 GMT
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 07:56:14PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:12:28PM -0000, trawick@apache.org wrote:
> > > trawick     01/02/08 14:12:28
> > >
> > >   Modified:    .        configure.in
> > >   Log:
> > >   look in -lm for modf()
> > >
> > >   This gets APR test programs linking on Tru64.  It may result in a
> > >   double -lm on some platforms, as we autodetect the need for -lm
> > >   but also hard-code the need for it in hints.m4.
> >
> > Wouldn't that imply that -lm should be removed from hints.m4?
>
> I expect that over the next few days I'll remove it for the relatively
> few platforms I have access to as I get a chance to verify.
>
> Alternatively, we can just remove it across the board and pick up the
> pieces when somebody with one of the obscure systems gets an
> unresolved reference and we realize that we need to look for a
> different function in -lm.
>
> Are you in favor of the latter approach?

The latter... definitely :-)

It is a bit nicer to believe we have the right solution and then apply known
fixes, then to continue to carry around baggage which we never know is still
needed or not. In this particular case, the "failure mode" is an easy
diagnosis and fix.

Ideally, hints could go away, but realistically I doubt that :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/