apr-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>
Subject Re: apr_ function prefixes
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:38:16 GMT
On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 09:21:55PM -0800, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> there's a number of places where apr (and httpd) is not consistent with
> prefixes or doesn't use one at all (beyond apr_ or ap_).
> personally, i like to see functions named with the prefix of the base type
> (struct) they operate on if possible.  for example, apr_xlate_t related
> functions all have an apr_xlate_ prefix, this is goodness.  for certain
> types, many, but not all related functions use a consistent prefix
> (e.g. apr_table_t), for some there is no prefix at all.
> i know this might be considered "late in the game", but in reality apr is
> very young software.  consistent/meaningful naming should start now,
> rather than 2 years down the road when i suspect it'll be in pretty
> widespread use.  below are some suggestions, i think i still have a
> rename script handy if there's consensus to move forward on some or all.

<snip renaming>

Although I haven't been much of a contributor to APR, I have been
working with the Subversion group a little bit, so I lurk around here,
since this stuff affects subversion too.  I would have to say that I am
+1 for this, but only if it is done soon.  As Ryan said recently, APR is
approaching the Beta stage, so API's shouldn't change much.  However, I
think this is a useful change.

--
Kevin Pilch-Bisson
kevin@pilch-bisson.net