apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Smirl" <jonsm...@mediaone.net>
Subject Mixing Apache and Mozilla
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2001 05:50:53 GMT
XPCOM is a very interesting technology that allow the mixing of modules written in C, Java,
Javascript and Python across all of the Mozilla target platforms (Windows, Linux, BEOS, Max,
Unix, etc). XPCOM is a portable version of Microsoft's COM.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xpcom/

XPCOM could be used to replace Apache's module system. XPCOM is cross platform and language
neutral. I especially like the ability to call Java in-process. XPCOM is built on top of NSPR,
Mozilla's portable run-time base. My desire to efficiently use XPCOM with Apache is one reason
I'd like to see Apache use NSPR and merge memory management schemes.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/reference/html/index.html

I've built a test module that uses Apache for the front-end and Mozilla's XPCOM for the back.
I'm pleased with the features and performance. I can continue to use XPCOM from a module without
changing Apache but I'd like to see this technology become more mainstream.

What's everybody's opinion on this? Let's ignore the license issues for now, if there is technical
agreement then I'm sure the license issues can be worked out. After all these are both freely
available, open source projects.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@mediaone.net