apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Smirl" <jonsm...@mediaone.net>
Subject Re: Mixing Apache and Mozilla
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:00:37 GMT
From: <rbb@covalent.net>
> There is a problem with ignoring the license issues, the license issues
> are a real issue for a lot of people on this list.

NSPR and XPCOM are already released under GPL, NPL and MPL with terms that
you can pick the one you want.  I doubt that the Mozilla lawyers are going
to deal with also releasing it under the Apache license until there is real
chance that it will be adopted. After rereading MPL and the Apache license I
can't even see a significant difference expect that MPL stops people from
contributing code containing submarine patents (like Unisys and GIF).

Apache and MPL are both open source, non-viral, royalty free, commercially
redistributable licenses. I find it disappointing that a large piece of
excellently code (NSPR and XPCOM) could be ignored because of religion over
which open source license is the best.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@mediaone.net