apr-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dean-list-apr-...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Keeping track of socket settings...
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:36:01 GMT
On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, David Reid wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Nicely put and that's exactly what I had in mind but after spending 10 hours
> flogging to St Pete & back my mind isn't working as well as normal! (Mind
> due, does it ever??)  Of course I was going to use the TCP_ flags but the
> APR should do the job...  That said, we don't currently allow the user to
> set TCP_CORK or TCP_NOPUSH, so maybe we should think about that?  Tracking
> the TCP_ options might be safer and more flexible?

i think there may be cases where CORK/NOPUSH could be useful at layers
above APR.

an example might be WebMUX and sendfile() combined.  if this is even
possible i haven't thought it through.

MUX protocols are really desirable from a performance point of view, but a
total pain in the ass to figure out all the nitty gritty details of when
you write() and what you put in the write()s.

last time i hurt myself thinking about this i think i came up with a clean
solution using CORK, and then proceeded to curse the traditional BSD
socket API because.  i'll post again if i figure it out.

-dean