apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: New directory API...
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:38:10 GMT

> > Here is a design that Will suggested earlier today, implemented for
> > Unix.  Basically, it just uses the finfo structure to store information
> > about the file when you read it from the directory.
>
> This isn't using finfo at all. It only returns the file name. The caller is
> then supposed to go back and use apr_stat for the other data.
>
> If we're just going to return the name, then let's do that. Returning an
> finfo is a misnomer.

That is on Unix, where that is all the information we have.  Windows,
OS/2, and Mac OS X all get more information from their readdir
functions.  Just because we don't get as much information from Unix
doesn't mean we shouldn't use what we do get.  When the apr_stat function
can do incremental stat's, this API will improve performance on all
platforms.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131