apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: largefile support
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:01:17 GMT
On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> as some of you may know, perl 5.6.0+ enables largefile support by default.
> in order for mod_perl+apache to cooperate, the lfs flags must either be
> stripped when mod_perl is built or apache must be built with these flags,
> e.g. -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>
> however, this is not possible due to sys/sendfile.h (linux kernel 2.2.16):
>
> #ifdef __USE_FILE_OFFSET64
> # error "<sendfile.h> cannot be used with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
> #endif

That is incredibly ugly.  :-(

> any ideas howto workaround this?

We could simply check the CFLAGS for -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and if it is
there, we just disable sendfile for Linux.

> and any plans on adding largefile support to 2.0?

I would really hate to think that we are going to remove even the option
of sendfile on Linux by always compiling with largefile support.

What does largefile support really buy us in a webserver.  I can see
adding an option to APR to enable this with --enable-largefilesupport, but
I have a hard time seeing what this gets us in Apache itself.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131