apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: apr_stat
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2001 06:12:44 GMT

> > > One alternative, both a 'wants' and 'needs' value, or simply a
> > > APR_FINFO_FAIL bit that does what you ask.  Apache won't use it,
> > > dav quite likely would in the properties area.
> >
> >    I like the fail bit idea, though I don't se why it's
> > necessary... well you could abort as soon as you fail as opposed
> > to trying to get as much of the data as available, so that could
> > be a win.
>
> The only pain is the wasted cpu ticks to test throughout.  Dunno...
> anyone else have feelings on this?

First of all, I don't believe we want to just fail if one portion of the
stat fails.  We should just inform the caller that the stat was
incomplete.  Being able to tell APR to fail if any part of the stat fails
might be useful, but I believe at this point that we are designing for
things that "might be nice", instead of what we need.

I guess the way I see it, is that it looks like we are tring to optimize
for error conditions.  I would much rather see us optimize for success
personally.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131