apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: cvs commit: apr/lib apr_pools.c
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:54:17 GMT

> >   Remove the ability to allocate out of a NULL pool.  This was always a bad
> >   idea, because it opened up memory leaks.  It is very likely that this will
> >   expose some seg faults
>
> This is indeed true, now that Windows httpd-2.0 is building again it has
> exposed a couple of problems. In ap_is_rdirectory, apr_lstat is passed
> a NULL pool pointer which eventually causes apr_palloc to segfault.
>
> I assume the correct fix is to pass in a pool parameter to ap_is_rdirectory.
> Similar situation seems to exist with apr_stat being passed a NULL pool
> by ap_is_directory. I'll go ahead and fix these.

I disagree that this is the correct solution.  APR relies too heavily on
pools right now, and I think this is causing some of our memory leak.  For
example, why does apr_get_oslevel take a pool as an argument?  It doesn't
use it ever.  That pool should go away.  Once that is done, the pool can
be removed from apr_stat and apr_lstat.  As far as I can see, the pools
aren't used there either.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131