apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/include apr_general.h
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 01:49:12 GMT

> >   Log:
> >   Add an APR_GET_POOL macro to get a pool from any APR type that has
> >   a pool.  This requires that ALL apr types put the pool as the first
> >   field in their structure.
>
> Euh... this is dangerous as hell. Why do we need this?

A) why is this dangerous at all?  We do stuff like this all the time in
Apache.  Whenever we get the pool from the request_rec, we are basically
doing the same thing.  The only difference is that we are getting it from
an incomplete type.

b) we need this so that we don't leak memory like a sieve.  I committed a
use of this to the buckets code a few minutes ago.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131