apr-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@xbc.nu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:20:37 GMT
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> writes:
>
>> Yuck.  I don't seem to have those interactions with vc5.0/SDK 2000.
>> But you are right, we just slowed the build by bypassing these
>> inclusions.
>>
>> We can selectively toggle off -parts- of the GDI without turning it off
>> entirely.  Since I can't see which parts are used (we are looking at
>> different wtype.h versions) I can't help too much.
>

> I think the fork in the road is the #define __midl that I'm assuming
> (based on comments in <winnt.h>) only gets set in WinNT and higher.
> Since it doesn't get set in Win98 by default, the header inclusion
> stuff takes a different route, if you will.  At least, this is my best
> guess at this stage.
>
>> The patch ought to be reverted after we fix apr.hw to toggle off what
>> we can without toggling off anything more.  Does this sound like an
>> amusing project for you, Mike?
>

> Heh.  Amusing?  Not any more so than your question. ;-)  But if it
> needs to be done, it needs to be done, right?
>
> I'll keep researching the issue over here to see if I can come up with
> a solid solution.  I would ask that if developers have a patch that
> they think might in some way break the Win98 build they either verify
> the patch themselves under Win98 or send it to me to validate--I'm
> cool with that if others are.  I'd just like to enjoy the luxury of a
> buildable APR on a daily basis like others do.

Is there anything we need from Win32 that we don't get with the following:

    #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
    #include <windows.h>

This omits all sors of crud, and gives reasonably fast compiles, and
sould work on all Win32 platforms. You don't get most UI stuff, but we
don't need it anyway.

--
Brane ─îibej
    home:   <brane@xbc.nu>             http://www.xbc.nu/brane/