apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject getting rid of our bzero() mapping
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:30:38 GMT
apr_general.h defines bzero() if APR doesn't think we have bzero().
This causes a problem on a SVR4 (see thread "re: APACHE20 problem with
string.h and strings.h" on new-httpd for details).

No code in APR uses bzero() and only two places in Apache use
bzero().  I'd prefer to get rid of our macro which defines bzero(),
and of course change the Apache code to use memset() instead.  We
assume the existence of memset() in multiple places.

Any disagreements before I commit?

This whole section of apr_general.h is a little disturbing to me, with
us defining APIs which aren't in our namespace.  Also, we do stuff
like

#if !define(APR_HAVE_xyz)
#define xyz(a,b) abc(b,a)
#endif

At this point, we always have xyz but the app has been told
otherwise.

Silly details I guess, but they are inconsistent with the rest of APR.

But I'm just suggesting zapping bzero() for now.  It clearly isn't
important enough a routine for us to pretend to be libc.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...