apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/tables apr_tables.c
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:13:23 GMT
On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 04:03:05PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> Sure they do.  Take a look at apr_table_add, that just adds another
> element at the end of the table, and then I can call apr_table_do, and
> iterate over them, or I can get the elements directly and iterate over
> them.

The implementation allows for it, sure. But the table was intended to be a
hash. And hash table semantics don't provide for ordering.

> > Regardless: nobody uses binary tables, and I don't know that anybody
> > plans to anywhere in the code. Hash tables are a much better than
> > binary tables. Tables (normal or binary) are linear-time for lookup,
> > even though they export a key-based style like a hash table.
> > Why do we need binary tables?
>
> Nobody uses them because they were just added at the beginning of 2.0, and
> nobody has gone through the code yet to see where they are useful.

They were added prior to hash tables. I bet those "useful" spots would be
more useful as a hash table :-)

I see no conceivable need for the binary table, so there is no need to
multiple-path our code with text and binary tables and hashes. Drop the
bloat, drop the maintenance, etc.

> As far as why do we need them, with the hash implementation, why do we
> need text tables anymore?  They are the same basic thing, and the hash
> implementation can provide for both text and binary data, so couldn't
> everything be implemented as a hash table?

Absolutely. I would toss the text tables, too... if I could :-) But that
data type is just too ingrained and widespread. Nobody was touching binary
tables, so it is easy to toss them and refer users to hash tables instead.

> Regardless, since people in the group have wanted binary tables for over
> two years,

Their needs are met by the new hash table that Tony did.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/