apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr Makefile.in configure.in
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:14:25 GMT
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:57:36 +0100 (CET), Sascha Schumann wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Brian Havard wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:17:16 -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>> >Yay!
>> >
>> >I always hated that thing. I did enough damage last night, that I wasn't
>> >going to try and remove it, though :-)
>>
>> Yeah, libtool has a few nice features. I just wish it didn't slow the build
>> to a crawl. For me, APR now takes over 5x as long to build as without
>> libtool (no, that's not an exaggeration, 47s vs 4min27s).
>
>    Try to install a faster Bourne Shell.. if it takes so much
>    time, it is usually caused by a very slow /bin/sh.
>
>    http://freshmeat.net/projects/pdksh/

Actually, that's what I'm using. The problem is that it spawns processes
via fork/exec which is horribly inefficient on OS/2 as fork() is emulated
by the C library for unix compatibility only. I've had a look at recoding
it to use spawn() (like I did for CGIs in Apache a while ago) but it isn't
a simple job.....