apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: apr-util build
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2001 20:03:02 GMT
On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 07:48:29PM +0100, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > [ david misfired, and this went straight to me; bringing back to the list ]
> >
> > Sascha said this wasn't needed on BSDs, but David says "yes".
>
>     What I said was this:
>
>     All BSDs, **except** BSD/OS.

I didn't know that BSD/OS == BSDi.  *shrug*

>     fixed in BSD/OS sooner than later.  In the mean-time, the
>     remaining four BSD/OS users (one has just passed away :-) can
>     use gmake which seems to be installed by default.

I'm with Ryan: we should just work on the various platforms. It is no big
deal to support this.

> > Seem reasonable?
>
>     AC_OUTPUT and the generated dozens of sed operations and
>     multiple sed invocations are slow and ugly.  I'd prefer to
>     drop BSD/OS make support for now and tell BSD/OS users to use
>     gmake.

I've never been too concerned with that speed. Certainly, it doesn't matter
much for APRUTIL because it has a very simple configure (thankfully, APR
takes care of the bulk). I can see the benefit for Apache, but even then...
it isn't like I run configure every hour and want it to scream. Hell... the
bulk of the time is in the tests -- not the output.

IOW, I find the AC_OUTPUT replacement scheme used by httpd to be of marginal
benefit.

Cheers,
-g

--