apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:04:38 GMT
From: "Branko ─îibej" <brane@xbc.nu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 5:20 PM

> > I'll keep researching the issue over here to see if I can come up with
> > a solid solution.  I would ask that if developers have a patch that
> > they think might in some way break the Win98 build they either verify
> > the patch themselves under Win98 or send it to me to validate--I'm
> > cool with that if others are.  I'd just like to enjoy the luxury of a
> > buildable APR on a daily basis like others do.
>
> Is there anything we need from Win32 that we don't get with the following:
>
>     #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
>     #include <windows.h>
>
> This omits all sors of crud, and gives reasonably fast compiles, and
> sould work on all Win32 platforms. You don't get most UI stuff, but we
> don't need it anyway.

We do that today.  And more.  The more is what bit us :-(

We want to eliminate other gobs of stuff.  Consider that we will let the
user do whatever they want before we get our hands into the pot (they could
include <windows.h> with any set of restrictions or not before including
any apr headers.)  Yes, LEAN_AND_MEAN is better than nothing.  NOGDI, NOUSER
and the rest of our list is even better.  Compiling many dozens of sources
with no precompiled headers means we want to do our best (for our benefit)
to strip down what we can.

I haven't even found my way back to apr/httpd-2.0 since that patch.  I'm not
really looking forward to it, but I will probably hack a better quick fix
when I finally get there between tommorow and Friday.

Bill