apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject APR LIBRARY STATUS 2001/01/28 02:13:18
Date Sun, 28 Jan 2001 02:15:04 GMT

Folks, please review this list... lots of silly stuff to clean up
and probably legitimate stuff to add.

APACHE PORTABLE RUNTIME (APR) LIBRARY STATUS:   -*-text-*-
Last modified at [$Date: 2001/01/28 02:13:18 $]

Release:

    2.0a9   : released December 12, 2000
    2.0a8   : released November 20, 2000
    2.0a7   : released October 8, 2000
    2.0a6   : released August 18, 2000
    2.0a5   : released August 4, 2000
    2.0a4   : released June 7, 2000
    2.0a3   : released April 28, 2000
    2.0a2   : released March 31, 2000
    2.0a1   : released March 10, 2000

RELEASE SHOWSTOPPERS:

RELEASE NON-SHOWSTOPPERS BUT WOULD BE REAL NICE TO WRAP THESE UP:

    * Unix, OS2 apr_stat/lstat/getfileinfo were very fast hacks.  These
      need to be fleshed out.

    * SysV semaphore support isn't usable by Apache when started as
      root because we don't have a way to allow the semaphore to be
      used by the configured User and Group.  Current work-around:
      change the initial permissions to 0666.  Needed code:  See
      1.3's http_main.c, SysV sem flavor of accept_mutex_init().

    * Build scripts do not recognise AIX 4.2.1 pthreads

    * Win32: Implement ap_shm_ functions

    * Bill says we need a new procattr, APR_CREATE_SUSPENDED (or
      something similar) to direct ap_create_process to create the
      process suspended. We also need a call to wake up the suspended
      process This may not be able to be implemented everywhere though.
        portably implemented?  Unless this creates some tangible that
        mirrors another platform, then I'm -1.

    * Replace tables with a proper opaque ADT that has pluggable
      implementations (including something like the existing data type,
      plus hash tables for speed, with options for more later).

    * add a version number to apr_initialize() as an extra failsafe against
      (APR) library version skew.
      MsgID: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10005231712380.31927-100000@nebula.lyra.org>

    * The MM library is built as static and shared library. This should
      be set up to build only the required version.

    * add apr_crypt() and APR_HAS_CRYPT for apps to determine whether the
      crypt() function is available, and a way to call it (whether it is
      located in libc, libcrypt, or libufc)

    * apr_create_lock() changes:
      - It ignores the "type" parameter, so toss it.
      - The fname param is allowed to be NULL on the Unix platform.
        Change it to always use the passed value, and check callers.

    * configure.in does post-processing on the AC_OUTPUT files (for
      VPATH support). This means that config.status doesn't do the
      right thing when you re-run it. We ought to revamp the makefiles
      to do the right AC_SUBST stuff rather than depend upon rewriting.

      Sascha: As the rewriter is a crude hack, I would not worry too
              much about it.  It is designed to go away once we have
              a proper build system in place.

              One of the perceived deficiencies of automake is that it
              uses AC_SUBST too often, thereby slowing down the task of
              generating Makefiles significantly, because it applies
              dozens of substitutions to each Makefile.  And why?  Make's
              built-in macro processing is much more powerful, and
              combined with the include facility, generating Makefiles
              becomes simpler and faster.

    * use os_(un)cork in network_io/unix/sendrecv.c for FreeBSD's
      sendfile implementation.

    * toss the per-Makefile setup of INCLUDES; shift to rules.mk.in

    * Change the return type of apr_hash_count() to some counter type
      (like "int") instead of a size type (apr_size_t).  Jeff will
      do this Real Soon Now (so he says on 20010121).

    * add the rest of the pool accessor declare/impl macros.

Documentation that needs writing:

    * API documentation

Stuff waiting for code thawing after Beta 1:

    * socket options patch - this is an attempt to track and cache
      the various options we have set on a socket to avoid needless
      systems calls to discover if an option is set or not...
      http://www.apache.org/~dreid/sockopt_diff