apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mo DeJong <mdej...@cygnus.com>
Subject Re: Patch to fix dirs when builddir != srcdir
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:06:24 GMT
On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > I would like to know why perl is used to determine how easy it
> > > would be to replace with something that has a better shot at
> > > being installed on every box that someone might want to build
> > > apr on.
> >
> >     Feel free to provide an awk script which implements the
> >     equivalent functionality.
>
> I used Perl because I wanted to learn Perl better.  This is also not a
> simple question to answer, and using awk will not solve the problem
> here.  Last I checked, Win32 does not have awk, and getting it requires
> that you actually download cygwin.
>
> The purpose of this script, is to allow all platforms to figure out what
> symbols are exported, currently just Unix is using this, but I fully
> expect AIX and Win32 to migrate to the .exports files soon.  If you change
> this script to be an awk script, then anybody who decides to use APR on
> Win32 will also need to download cygwin.  That is bad IMHO.  Apache has
> required Perl to allow things to build properly for some time, and I do
> not believe it is unreasonable to require Perl for APR and apr-util.
>
> Ryan

How do win32 users run the ./configure script without downloading
Cygwin? Also, have you tried recent versions of Cygwin? The old
install process really sucked, but new versions have a nice
GUI installer that downloads all the packages over the net
automatically. It is really easy to install, which seems to
have been users main complaint.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc