apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mo DeJong <mdej...@cygnus.com>
Subject Re: [wrowe@rowe-clan.net: RE: *.exports in distro bundle, use of , Perl on Windows (was: Re: make_export.awk)]
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:56:24 GMT
On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> -----
>
> From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
> Subject: RE: *.exports in distro bundle, use of Perl on Windows (was: Re: make_export.awk)

I guess I don't follow the logic there. How exactly would Windows
developers run the configure script if they did not have Cygwin
installed? Last I checked, perl did not read sh files, so you
would need to have a version of /bin/sh on the Windows box
to be able to run configure. I was not aware that there was
a pure Win32 version of /bin/sh, I had always assumed people
would be using Cygwin to run the ./configure script. Since
Cygwin does not come with perl and it does come with gnu
utils like sed and awk, we should use the utils and not
perl. Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc