apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mo DeJong <mdej...@cygnus.com>
Subject Re: Patch to fix dirs when builddir != srcdir
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:05:33 GMT
On Sat, 16 Dec 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > Ok, so you don't like automake and gnu make.
>
>     May I gently request that you read this article:
>
>         http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/12/advocacy.html?wwwrrr_20001213.txt

I have read that article before, and no I am not on an anti-perl
kick or anything. I would like to know why perl is used to
determine how easy it would be to replace with something that
has a better shot at being installed on every box that someone
might want to build apr on. For example, Cygwin does not
come with Perl so that would throw a big wrench in the
process of bulding apr as I would need to download and
build perl first.

>     This is an open source project; please quit whining about
>     missing standard adherence. If you don't like something, feel
>     free to submit patches.
>
>     Thanks,
>     - Sascha

How else would standards get implemented :)

When I mentioned the autogen.sh thing, you claimed
that it was fine to use ./buildconf and that you did
not want to change it. Submitting patches that get
ignored is no fun.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc