apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mo DeJong <mdej...@cygnus.com>
Subject Re: Could buildconf be renamed to autogen.sh?
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:54:53 GMT
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> *) Subversion uses autogen.sh
> *) APR and Apache uses buildconf
> *) APRUTIL uses buildconf.sh (I stayed with the buildconf name, but felt
>    that adding the .sh was much more declarative about what is going on)
>
> I'm +1 on changing APR and Apache to buildconf.sh.
>
> I'd like to hear about more projects that use the "autogen.sh" style to get
> a feel for how common/standard that name is.

Well, here are a few quick links for programs like gnome, gnucash,
galde, evolution, and some other projects.

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/gnome/gnometut/gnometut/autogen.sh.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel%40gnucash.org/msg06320.html
http://rpmfind.net/tools/glade/messages/1172.html
http://lists.helixcode.com/archives/public/evolution-hackers/2000-August/000351.html

Note that there is one fatal error that a lot of folks make
when creating an autogen.sh file. One should never actually
run ./configure at the end of an autogen.sh file. This is
a big pain if you want to build in a directory other than the
srcdir.

APR does not currently work when building outside the src
dir, that is something else I would like to fix.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc