apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: make_export.awk
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 18:12:24 GMT
> I dislike this idea.  I realize (now) that awk is available on Windows,
> but Perl is already required to build Apache on Windows, and all of a
> sudden we are going to add the requirement of awk too.  Why?  We already
> require Perl on every platform when building Apache, but we do not
> currently require awk.

    Is Perl required on Unix as well?

    There are still a substantial amount of platforms which don't
    ship with Perl (most SysV-derivatives, including Tru64,
    UnixWare, OpenServer). Apache 1.3 did not require Perl and
    one of the design goals of the Apache 2.0 build system was
    that it shall work without Perl.

    Has this changed?

> Unless there is a really good reason to change this to awk, I would much
> rather use Perl.  That is a -1 (vote not veto) for the awk version.  I
> would also point out that we have always expected developers to have Perl
> installed on their machines, and people who download the binary will not
> need it.

    Cannot we port the Perl stuff to awk as well?

> Yes, all of these are supposed to be exported, and they are by the Perl
> version.  At least they are on my machine.

    I've just rerun the Perl version and it still excludes those
    symbols. Any ideas?

    My laptop is running SuSE 6.1 (perl 5.005_02).

    - Sascha