apr-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: Patch to fix dirs when builddir != srcdir
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 22:54:59 GMT
> Could someone tell me why it was done this way? Is there
> any reason we could not switch over to using automake?

    automake is unsuitable for projects with a large set of
    variables and/or Makefiles (because it shifts substitutions
    from make to sed which becomes annoingly slow quickly).
    Additionally, the dependency tracking is inherently build
    around GNU utilities.

    It is very likely that APR will switch to a more suitable
    build-system in the near future.

    I don't think there is anything currently which runs
    config.status automatically (I have not looked at it for
    quite some time though), so it should not fubar your build
    out of the blue.

    - Sascha