apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: [wrowe@rowe-clan.net: RE: *.exports in distro bundle, use of , Perl on Windows (was: Re: make_export.awk)]
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2000 01:44:25 GMT

> > Nak, no, you cannot incorporate cygwin on win32 for apr/apache,
> > and, no, Win32 doesn't run ./configure, and no, we don't expect
> > anyone on win32 to handle installation of anything beyond the
> > easy-to-install activestate perl, or we incoroporate the Lucient
> > licensed awk.  Apr itself is not built on cygwin porting.
>
> I am not talking about building APR on top of Cygwin, I am
> only talking about building APR with the utils (like /bin/sh)
> provided by Cygwin. I assumed that this was how you all got
> ./configure running under Windows, but it sounds like
> nobody has done that, so my mistake. Does this mean that
> the Windows version of APR only builds with VC++?

Yes, currently the Windows version of APR only works with VC++.  Most
Windows developers use VC++, so that is who we are programming for.  Most
Windows developers use Windows tools, so there isn't really a good reason
to force them to install a new set of tools to be able to use APR.

> Gosh, you are right. We have better halt that port to Linux
> too, since it is also GPLed. If you link your program to
> cygwin1.dll, then it needs to be GPLed. But, there is an
> exception in the license for projects that fit the OSD
> definition of "open source" software. None of that matters
> since you do not need to link to cygwin1.dll if you are
> just using the tools to build your code. If you had actually
> read the license, you might already know that (no, I
> am not trying to flame here).

The Apache Group has looked at Cygwin before.  We do not plan to include
support for Cygwin right now.  That may change in the future, but we
dislike the license.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131