apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: make_export.awk
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:01:07 GMT

> > When I originally wrote the buildexports stuff, we didn't require Perl to
> > build Apache, because that file could be generated once and just bundled
> > with Apache.  With the move to create those files during the build steps,
> > we now require Perl just to build.  I think the best solution is to move
> > that step back to the buildconf script, because that allows us to bundle
> > these files with the packages.
>
>     Yes, that would eliminate the requirement for end-users.
>
>     What about developers who want to test a CVS checkout of APR
>     or Apache on a non-mainstream OS?  Do you want to force them
>     to install Perl?

We expect that developers have access to a certain list of projects before
being able to build Apache or APR.  I have no problem requiring Perl for
developers.  I have a big problem requiring it for end-users.

> > Are you using the most recent checkout of Apache?  I really
> > don't know why it wouldn't work on your machine.  I am using
> > Mandrake 7.1 with perl 5.005_03
>
>     I did a complete fresh checkout of APR now, ran buildconf,
>     configure and make apr.exports.  The symbols are still
>     missing.  It looks like there is an incompatibility between
>     the Perl script and the Perl version.  One more reason to
>     favor awk.  ;-)

I would love to know what it is.  The regex isn't that complex, and
regex's in Perl shouldn't have really changed between 5.005_02 and
5.005_03. Hmmmmm....

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131