apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Patch to fix dirs when builddir != srcdir
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:47:20 GMT

> > I would like to know why perl is used to determine how easy it
> > would be to replace with something that has a better shot at
> > being installed on every box that someone might want to build
> > apr on.
>
>     Feel free to provide an awk script which implements the
>     equivalent functionality.

I used Perl because I wanted to learn Perl better.  This is also not a
simple question to answer, and using awk will not solve the problem
here.  Last I checked, Win32 does not have awk, and getting it requires
that you actually download cygwin.

The purpose of this script, is to allow all platforms to figure out what
symbols are exported, currently just Unix is using this, but I fully
expect AIX and Win32 to migrate to the .exports files soon.  If you change
this script to be an awk script, then anybody who decides to use APR on
Win32 will also need to download cygwin.  That is bad IMHO.  Apache has
required Perl to allow things to build properly for some time, and I do
not believe it is unreasonable to require Perl for APR and apr-util.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131