apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr STATUS
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:04:26 GMT

>   +    * apr_create_lock() changes:
>   +      - It ignores the "type" parameter, so toss it.
>   +      - The fname param is allowed to be NULL on the Unix platform.
>   +        Change it to always use the passed value, and check callers.

These are in there by design.  The type parameter didn't used to be there,
but we have added it for the future.  At some point, somebody is going to
get the time to add read/write locks as well as the mutex's that we
currently have.  At that time, the type is required.

Having the filename be optional on some platforms is also valid.  There is
no reason to force people who are only building on platforms that don't
need a file to have a file name there.  I have used that feature in some
projects, because I knew my target platforms.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131