apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/src/dbm apr_dbm.c
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 16:32:32 GMT

> > We absolutely MUST have separable features, and we must be able to build
> > just those features that are required.  This code has no one thing that
> > ties it all together, so there is no reason to think that any project
> > other than Apache will want it all.  Inflicting it on everybody is not a
> > valid way to do this.
>
> Ryan -- a tip for interacting with other people in a shared development
> environment: avoid the words "should", "must", and definitely "absolutely
> must". Not everybody agrees with you, and these kinds of phrases are poor
> leaders into a process where you are trying to reach a consensus. They can
> alienate people from what should be a community process, by making it sound
> as if your thoughts and decisions are the only ones that matter. I would
> suggest that you be a bit more careful, and phrase things as "your thoughts"
> or "your suggestions." Propose things, rather than issue demands. Your job
> is to reach consenus and to move the project towards a shared vision, not to
> say where it "absolutely MUST" go. Give us your thoughts and let us reach
> the same decision with you. The people sharing this "work" environment will
> feel much better about their participation and will enjoy it much more.

My thoughts are always just that, my thoughts.  When I say "MUST" or "have
to", that is me expressing my opinion about something.  I will try to
watch it in the future.  I do not want to alienate anybody from working on
this or any other project.  I do feel strongly about many issues, and that
often comes across as being demanding, when I just want people to know how
strongly I feel.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131