apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/src/dbm apr_dbm.c
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 00:20:17 GMT

> > One last observation, sdbm.h does _not_ belong in apr-util/include/ and neither
> > does the apu_private stuff.  Suggest we move those on out of there, but where?
> > apr-util/include/private?  We don't need arch/ anything, since headers shouldn't
> > change the same way in apr-util (it's already cross-platform, right :-?)
> We could move apu_private to a subdirectory, but why? A handy subdir was
> available in APR, so that was an easy choice to hide the include file. I say
> that we leave the file and simply tell people "you're an adult. listen to us
> when we say don't include it."

That didn't work with apr_private.h, which should it work for

> > Note we don't appear to have an apr-util.h just yet for compiled-in features
> > of the lib... we need one, no?
> if/when we have separable features.

We absolutely MUST have separable features, and we must be able to build
just those features that are required.  This code has no one thing that
ties it all together, so there is no reason to think that any project
other than Apache will want it all.  Inflicting it on everybody is not a
valid way to do this.  I would still like to see a statement for what
belongs in this library, because right now the definition of this library
is "kitchen sink of portable routines".

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message