apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: apr-util comments
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:30:33 GMT

> Two reasons:
>
> 1) we locate all the objects to add to the library using "find". it is
>    easier to find them under "src/" rather than enumerating each source
>    subdir. We can't use "." because that would pick up "test/".

This hasn't been an object in APR.  I would prefer to enumerate the
subdirs to build, because it allows us to specify only those subdirs that
we want to build.  We don't have this support in apr-utils yet, but it
will be needed if this is project is going to be very useful outside of
Apache.  Not everybody will want to use all of apr-util, and not everybody
will want to require shared libraries.

> 2) to keep the top-level cleaner. we have eight groups of functionality in
>    apr-util/src/. tossing those up a level would make that a bit more
>    confusing. Currently, the top-level has: build/, docs/, include/, src/,
>    and test/. Each is obvious in purpose.

Isn't this clean enough just because each of the directories has a very
specific purpose?

Does it buy us anything to have this repository look like APR and
Apache?  Does SubVersion have a src directory?  We just removed the src
directory from Apache itself, why?  do those arguments apply to apr-util
as well?

I have no answers, but those are the questions that I am left wondering
about, so I wanted to make sure that they were brought out into the open
so that we had answers when others asked them.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131