apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr-util/src/dbm Makefile.in apr_dbm.c
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:09:10 GMT

> > By moving it into the Makefile, we have access to the APR directory. The
> > parameter to buildconf.sh is a bit strange... our other buildconf scripts
> > don't do it (nor does autogen.sh in SVN). In some cases, APR can be found by
> > the configure script automatically, so nobody would need to pass a parameter
> > at any time to say where APR is located.
>
> I believe this should all be done at buildconf time, not configure
> time.  Move all the checks into buildconf for specifying library
> directories.  Trying to configure a package without having all the
> libraries installed just doesn't work.

I should also mention here that by putting this into the buildconf stage,
we are actually helping ourselves, because it means that we can reliably
run APR and APR-util's ./buildconf scripts from Apache and Subversion,
even if they do not live in the standard locations in the tree.  Try doing
that now, and you will find that you will need either a symbolic link or a
full copy of APR and APR-util in the correct location during the buildconf
stage.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131