apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/test aprtest.dsp aprtest.dsw aprtest.win Makefile.in sendfile.c testmmap.c client.dsp htdigest.dsp server.dsp test.dsw testarg.dsp testfile.dsp testproc.dsp testsig.dsp testsock.dsp testsuite.dsw testthread.dsp testucs.dsp timetest.dsp
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:39:23 GMT

> > > (the standard crypt() is generally non-portable and would remain in APR;
> > >  that should solve Ryan's request for a way to hash [not encode] passwords)
> >
> > We don't have a crypt routine, and there has been no discussion of putting
> > crypt into APR so far.
>
> htpasswd uses crypt(), but that is quite platform specific. It probably
> should use an APR cover for it.

htpasswd also uses MD5's, based on run-time arguments.

> > Plus, for backwards compatability with 1.3, APR
> > will need to understand how to check for MD5 passwords.
>
> APR doesn't do this. Apache does. Since MD5 will be available in apr-util,
> there shouldn't be any problem.

Look again.  The validate_password function is in APR.  All Apache does is
call out to PR to determine if two passwords are the same.  We could move
that function to apr-util, but that seems wrong to me.  I seriously
dislike having two different libraries providing the two different ways we
encode passwords.

> > Otherwise, andbody who chose to create MD5 password files will need to
> > re-create their password files for 2.0.  I am -1 for forcing them to do
> > that, and that is a veto.
>
> I would agree with that veto, except it isn't needed :-) The MD5 password
> files are managed by Apache... not APR.

No, currently they are managed by APR, as long as the validate_password
routine is in an APR library, this is an issue.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131