apr-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: APRUTIL prefix
Date Sat, 02 Dec 2000 22:58:15 GMT

> > > After I checked in the stuff last night, I realized that "apu_config.h" was
> > > probably using the "wrong" prefix.
> >
> > I would suggest we just use APR.  This is the APR utility library, and it
> > makes sense in my mind to use the same prefix.
>
> Hmm. We would then need to coordinate across the two libraries. A bit of a
> possible headache.

But the whole point of apr-utils is that it doesn't have the same
functions as APR.  If there is ever a time that the two libraries have
this problem, then something is already horribly wrong.

> > I would suggest doing what APR does, which is to put the compat header in
> > the library's include directory.
>
> Well, I think that was a bit different. There were potentially other users
> of the APR functions by that point. By including that header in APR, it was
> saying "we changed our names, but will provide this header for you."
>
> APRUTIL *starts* with a new set of names, and Apache is the person who needs
> to compensate.
>
> In other words, there are no APRUTIL users other than Apache that are
> affected by the rename. Any third-party Apache modules will have the
> "compat" header available via Apache.

I disagree, as somebody who regularly takes functions from Apache and uses
them in my own code, I am going to convert my projects to use apr-utils
ASAP, which means either I need to duplicate the header file or change my
code.  I will change my code quickly, but others would probably choose to
duplicate the header for a while.  We solve this problem by putting the
header with the library.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131