apr-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: cvs access for httpd group
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 18:54:46 GMT
On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > If the auto-checkout modules thing doesn't work, then we can always have
> > buildconf check for the apr directory and punt if it doesn't find it.
>
> I think we will need to do that.  The problem with ampersand modules
> is that they naturally assume that both modules are owned by the same
> groups.

Actually, the mistaken assumption (in the CVS code) is that one should
need to have write access to a module's directory in order to check it
out, which the -R flag fixes.  This is not a problem with pserver mode,
btw - only with using ssh as CVS_RSH.  PServer mode can still be used to
make commits.

> If we use one within httpd for apr, then we are assuming that
> everyone doing a writable checkout of httpd should also have a writable
> apr.  As much as I believe that is true now, I'd hate to have to manage
> it going forward.  If we used the -R freebsd thing that Brian mentioned,
> then it forces httpd people to have a read-only apr tree even when they
> do have write access to apr.

I don't understand - the -R doesn't check out a ready-only apr tree.  It
only says don't create lockfiles on checkout:

       -R     Turns on read-only repository  mode.   This  allows
              one  to check out from a read-only repository, such
              as within an anoncvs server, or from a CDROM repos-
              itory.   Same  effect as if the CVSREADONLYFS envi-
              ronment  variable  is  set.   Using  -R  can   also
              considerably speed up checkout's over NFS.

	Brian