apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject linking libraries (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 configure.in)
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:59:48 GMT
On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 07:26:17PM +0100, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> > That might work for libmain, if I could figure out our build system to
> > implement it.  But, for apr-util, which must be usable outside of Apache
> > as either a shared library or a static one, a convenience library isn't an
> > option.
>
>     Why cannot we create a two step process for apr-util then?
>
>     1.  Create a convenience library.
>
>     2.  Create a normal libtool library, pulling in the
>         convenience library.
>
>     Apache could then use the lib produced in step 1, while the
>     result from step 2 would be installed (or whatever you are
>     doing with it).

This would be good, in general. I can easily see other libtool-based apps
wanting a convenience library.

In other words, APR(UTIL) would build three things:

1) classic .a object archive
2) .so shared library
3) libtool convenience library

Sascha: what is the right magic for doing this?

[ I'd also like to know because I think it might be useful within SVN ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/