apr-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@apple.com>
Subject Re: make_export.awk
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2000 23:49:44 GMT
> What makes you think the awk solution is any more portable than the Perl
> solution?

  awk is a standard Unix tool and has a specification in my copy of the
CAE X/OPEN docco.  Perl is not.  Add to that the fact that awk is a much
simpler program, can be had under a BSD license, and much is easier to
port to non-Unix platforms, and I think it's a clear winner.

  That Apache required Perl is no excuse to bloat up APR with that
requirement.  Apache is not APR's only client.

  I prefer coding perl to awk, but it's not the more portable tool.

  I -1 your -1.  :)

  BWK awk, by the way, is a fine awk.  We tossed gawk for it in Mac OS X,
and all (even GNU autoconf, which, by the way, uses awk) works just ducky.

	-Fred

Wilfredo Sánchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Open Source Engineering Lead
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating System Group
1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 94086, 408.974-5174