apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: make_export.awk
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:11:03 GMT
On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 09:41:34PM +0100, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> > Hmm. Have you noticed apr_MD5Encode and apr_get_home_directory are in there
> > twice? Is it possible that you're getting doubles? Maybe you have a backup
> > copy of apr_uuid.h and apr_md5.h in your include directory, and it's picking
> > them up?
>
>     line was not cleared correctly.  Whoops.  I used the diff
>     output to check the correctness of the script all the time.
>     On the second test machine I only verified that the
>     Perl-generated output's line count was identical with what I
>     had on my machine.  Now the awk script's output is really
>     correct and identical to the Perl version. Sorry for the
>     confusion.
>
>     Even though the bug point was rendered invalid now, the other
>     points are still valid.
>
>     Attached is a new version of the awk script.
>
>     - Sascha

I'm +1 on using this script. I like the lower bar for requiring awk, and (a
nit) I also like the tossing of the -o cmd line thing (using stdout is so
much nicer!).

It's faster for one thing. The perl script was pretty consistently around
1.13 seconds (elapsed) on my box, while the awk script is about 0.76 seconds
elapsed.

I've also verified the output to be identical.

We should document that URL for fetching a Windows-compatible AWK. Are there
binary distributions? I'd also be fine redistributing from apache.org so
that people don't have to hunt this stuff down at other sites.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/